Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 2 in Korea

Day 2 was exhausting but great.

We got an email from our agency at home that if we wanted to visit the Reception Center we had to go Thursday or Friday. Well our city tour is today so we changed our plans and once again didn't make it to Seoul Tower yesterday.

We arrived at Holt at 9:35am and met Mrs. You, our caseworker here in Korea. She is amazing and was so sweet with the boys. The boys were both very nervous around her but they didn't say why. Mrs. You walked us to the Reception Center which was about less than a 10 minute walk. She took us up to the nursery then left. We presented the volunteers with several boxes if rice cereal & a bag of goodies for them.

It takes an amazing woman to give so much of herself and let me tell you these woman give so much to these babies. For any family who had or has a baby at Holt Reception Center please know how much they are being loved and cared for. There was even 1 baby in a incubator and they were talking to him. He was so tiny and his eyes were taped shut I just wanted to hold him but he looked so fragile.

We stayed for a little while and got to rock the babies and play with them. We even got to hold them. One little girl was crying and I was able to hold & rock her, it was amazing. I so would love to work there. We all enjoyed our visit to the nursery especially Julian, he didn't want to leave he kept saying " just a few more minutes" but we really had to go.

We took the subway/metro back and it's pretty easy to navigate, thanks to Bill. When we got off we couldnt' figure out which way was our hotel so since we were pressed for time we got a taxi only to find out we were about 10 blocks away. Thank goodness it only cost about $2.40 for the taxi ride.

It's very hot & humid so we had to freshen up and we waited until 12:15pm for our friend Min's sister to arrive. When she didn't come we headed to Lotte World. We had a really great time there but didn't get to ride any of the bigger rides, the lines were way too long. Julian, Kai & Bill did ride everything that was smaller that they could and all had a blast. Shortly after arriving at Lotte World we received a call from Min that her sister would meet us at 5pm and take us to dinner. We were a little nervous since she didn't speak english but Bill and I were looking forward to meeting her. The boys were very nervous.

Yun-Kyung arived on time and was able to speak a little English. She is beautiful and so sweet just like her sister Min. She took us by taxi to a Korean bbq and we had beef & pork that she cooked right there for us on the table. She didn't eat anything saying she was on a diet but she is so super skinny. We enjoyed some light conversation and by the time we parted Kai was fast asleep on my lap. Yun-Kyung insisted on cooking dinner for us so she is coming to our hotel on Sunday after she is done work and will bring us dinner. We kept telling her it wasn't necessary but she wouldn't take no for an answer.

We took a cab home because Kai was sleeping and Julian wasn't far off. It most definately was the worst cab ride of my life, even worse than in New York. He drove so fast and almost got in so many accidents not exagrating. I get motion sick so it wasn't a good experience for me at all. Thankfully he drove very fast and got us home in about 25 minutes instead of the 40 it should have taken.

We were all exhausted and needed showeres. The boys were so exhausted but cried that they couldn't go to the pool. I don't think any of us even would have made it down there. By 8:15 the boys were fast asleep and about an hour later so were Bill and I.

Once again I was awake this morning at 3:19am. Not sure if it's the jetlag or the 13 hours time difference. This morning I stayed in bed until 4:15 trying to get back to sleep but too much was racing thru my mind so I finally got up. I'm trying my luck at a load of laundry, it's a little difficult when there are no directions and this thing is a washer/dryer in one so hopefully I do ok.

Today is Friday and we have our city tour. I'm really looking forward to the boys finally get some cultureal experience. I jsut wish I knew if our tour guide would be male or female so I knew what kind of gift to prepare for them. Maybe I'll prepare one of each, only problem there isn't enough room in my backpack for both.

Well Kai is up so I'm gonna go spend some time with him. Sorry for the typo's but my spell check isnt working for some reason and I'm sure I have overlooked some. I probably won't get to upload pictures until after were back home.

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about your trip! Have fun on the city tour!!!!

    ReplyDelete